Class C energy efficiency will be mandatory for commercial premises from 2023 - BV
Home Knowledge base Corporate Banking Energy efficiency class...

Private individuals

School holidays 2024-2025 Tax relief for working people (Arbeidskorting) How to calculate tax on Box 3 tax return Tax deductions for gifts and charity General tax relief (algemene heffingskorting) Calculate your medical reimbursement threshold Local (municipal) taxes Deduction for medical expenses (aftrek zorgkosten) 2023 Combined Tax Credit for Parents of Children Under 12 (IACK) Do you have to pay tax if you rent out a room in your house? Opgaaf wereldinkomen - Worldwide income statement Weekends and holidays 2024 Minimum wage 2024 How to notify the tax office about your bank account number yourself? My tax return has been in the tax office for a long time, but there is no answer. What to do? Instructions: How to apply for a subsidy at Holiday rules in the Netherlands Taxation of foreign income in the Netherlands Tax return. Form M Letters with machtigingen from the tax What is jaaropgaaf What is a Zvw contribution? Instructions: How to file a tax return Tax deductions for mortgages and maintenance of your own home How to save on utility bills in the Netherlands (subsidies for improved thermal insulation) About the fare. Receipts and discounts (VIDEO) I want to help: Charity and taxes Box 3 / Box 3 - a book with a description of all webinars Advance calculation (voorlopige aanslag) - an option for those who want to pay taxes or receive tax deductions not at once, but on a monthly basis Fiscal partners Top 9 Tax Return Questions Answered Property transfer tax - basics and innovations from 2021 Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 2) Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 1) "30% ruling" and conditions for its receipt Registration of inheritance and gifts Additional maternity leave What is allowed and what is forbidden to import into the Netherlands Taxes on imported goods How to provide a foreign account number to the tax office Airport Tax Refund (Schiphol) How to get a grace period for filing your tax return The main types of taxes in the Netherlands Dutch taxpayer Where do I go with my problem?

Class C energy efficiency will be mandatory for commercial premises from 2023


From next year, office buildings larger than 100 m2 will have to be rated C or higher. The level of energy consumption will have to be 225 kWh per square meter per year.

If an office building is grade D or lower, then the owner risks a fine of up to 81 euros or will have to close the premises.

You can find out the energy efficiency class of your company here.

Algorithm of actions to obtain class C energy efficiency

  1. Book a consultation with an EPA-U consultant (energieprestatieadvies voor utiliteitsbouw) on energy efficiency in non-residential buildings. A certified consultant can be found here.
  2. Find out the list of subsidies that can be requested. The same energy efficiency consultant will help.
  3. Make the building more environmentally friendly.
  4. Request a new energy efficiency class by inviting the consultant again.

Who is responsible for class C energy efficiency if an office space of more than 100 m2 is rented?

If there is no special agreement (or clauses in the main agreement) between the landlord and the tenant that relates to repairs, alterations and other improvements, then the tenant is required by law to cooperate when such work begins to take place.

If there is an agreement on the performance of work and reimbursement of costs (or other similar agreement or clauses in the main agreement) between the landlord and the tenant, then the parties must act as originally agreed.




Measures to help improve energy efficiency

Solar panels

Solar panels that produce 170 kWh per m2 per year will pay for themselves in 7 years. In addition, their installation entitles them to tax credits.


Thermal insulation

An office building will become more energy efficient if the walls, floor or roof are insulated.


If the building has hollow walls, then it makes sense to fill the space between the two walls with insulating material. According to Pim Nusselder, energy expert at Milieu Centraal, cavity wall insulation is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to insulate. “Let's take a house as an example. Depending on the size, you will save between 1000 and 1500 euros per year on energy costs. The 5000 euros you pay for wall insulation will be returned in a few years,” Pim assures.


Not everyone knows that about 10% of the energy in a building is lost through the floor. By insulating it, you can save from 500 to 750 euros per year. Investments will pay off in 4-6 years.


The cost of roof insulation ranges from 80 to 240 euros per m2. Pitched roof insulation is cheaper than flat roof insulation. Investments will pay off in 5-8 years.


triple glazing

Experts are sure: triple glazing insulates much better than old-fashioned double glazing.

You can get a subsidy for triple glazing. Pay attention to the conditions: this often requires a combination of sustainable solutions. For example, a heat pump plus triple glazing.

Refusal from gasа

Gas phase-out will become a mandatory condition only in 2050. But you can prepare for this now. There are 2 alternatives to natural gas:

Electric heat pump

With an electric heat pump, you get hot water and heating through the electrical network. The cost of a complete heat pump system varies from 3000 to 17 euros, depending on the type of pump itself. The payback period also varies depending on the type: from 000 to 7 years.

Heat pump

It is important to understand that the building must be ready for the heat pump. Only in a well-insulated building will it be a profitable purchase.



logo nalog

Several of our topics

You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

logo nalog

What do you think of this site? *

The purpose of your appeal?

Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.