Everything you need to know about emigrating from the Netherlands - Nalog.nl BV
Home Knowledge base Migration Everything you need to know about uh ...

Private individuals

School holidays 2024-2025 Tax relief for working people (Arbeidskorting) How to calculate tax on Box 3 tax return Tax deductions for gifts and charity General tax relief (algemene heffingskorting) Calculate your medical reimbursement threshold Local (municipal) taxes Deduction for medical expenses (aftrek zorgkosten) 2023 Combined Tax Credit for Parents of Children Under 12 (IACK) Do you have to pay tax if you rent out a room in your house? Opgaaf wereldinkomen - Worldwide income statement Weekends and holidays 2024 Minimum wage 2024 How to notify the tax office about your bank account number yourself? My tax return has been in the tax office for a long time, but there is no answer. What to do? Instructions: How to apply for a subsidy at Nalog.nl Holiday rules in the Netherlands Taxation of foreign income in the Netherlands Tax return. Form M Letters with machtigingen from the tax What is jaaropgaaf What is a Zvw contribution? Instructions: How to file a tax return Tax deductions for mortgages and maintenance of your own home How to save on utility bills in the Netherlands (subsidies for improved thermal insulation) About the fare. Receipts and discounts (VIDEO) I want to help: Charity and taxes Box 3 / Box 3 - a book with a description of all webinars Advance calculation (voorlopige aanslag) - an option for those who want to pay taxes or receive tax deductions not at once, but on a monthly basis Fiscal partners Top 9 Tax Return Questions Answered Property transfer tax - basics and innovations from 2021 Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 2) Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 1) "30% ruling" and conditions for its receipt Registration of inheritance and gifts Additional maternity leave What is allowed and what is forbidden to import into the Netherlands Taxes on imported goods How to provide a foreign account number to the tax office Airport Tax Refund (Schiphol) How to get a grace period for filing your tax return The main types of taxes in the Netherlands Dutch taxpayer Where do I go with my problem?

Everything you need to know about emigrating from the Netherlands


Everything in our life flows and changes, and if for some reason you decide to emigrate from the Netherlands to another country, then before doing this, you should take care of some things in advance - below we give you a short checklist.



To make it easier for you to contact the Dutch government authorities in your country of emigration, it is worth having DigiD. Even when you are away, you can use your login and password and check your mail, and if you complete any documents, you can confirm your identity.


Extract from the City Hall (gemeente)

You must be discharged before leaving and it is best for you to have this discharge confirmation with you (bewijs van uitschrijving). In the future, this document may be requested by various authorities in the new place of residence.

Also, upon departure, you should inform the mayor's office of your new address in another country. If the exact address is not yet known, then you can leave the details and address of the contact person.


IND notification and return of residence cards

Once you have notified the mayor's office of your departure, they will automatically forward the information to the IND. You must also return your residence card (residence permit or permanent residence) to the immigration office (IND). This can be done both before and after departure. But before you mail it, you have to invalidate it: You can score the card (don't cut it all the way) or punch holes in it (like a hole punch). After that, send it by letter to IND Bureau Documenten – PO Box 7025; 8007HA Zwolle.

If you are worried that the IND will take a long time to notify the IND of your departure, you can also attach to your residence card your departure notification form.

Remember that you will be fined if you fail to notify the IND to leave.


Car and personal belongings

On departure, you must deregister the vehicle. To do this, it must be registered with RDW as an export vehicle. You do not need to make an appointment at RDW for this, but you must bring the car for inspection to the RDW branch in Zoetermeer or Veendam, or to an authorized point for export processing. The addresses of such points can be found HERE

You must have with you:

  • car documents;
  • ID
  • car license plates;
  • power of attorney per person (if not the owner arrives), and
  • signed by Uittreksel (extract) from Kvk in case the car has been registered with the company.

You may be able to get back some of the paid bpm back.

Conditions for the refund of this tax:

  • the vehicle was registered in the Netherlands after October 16, 2006
  • the car is not damaged
  • the car is serviceable
  • the vehicle is registered with RDW for export
  • the vehicle is registered in another EU country or in Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway. Registration must be completed within 13 weeks after receiving the "Export" status in RDW.

Registration must be completed within 13 weeks after obtaining Export status with RDW.

If you move to another EU country, you can move your belongings without any formalities.

If you are moving outside the EU, then you need to submit an export declaration to customs. The shipping company can help you with this.


Health insurance

If you and / or your family remain insured in the Netherlands after your emigration, or if you receive a pension from the Netherlands or some other benefit while you live in another EU or EEA country (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland) or from the list of countries with which an agreement has been concluded (Switzerland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Macedonia, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey), then you should notify and register with CAK



If you are receiving any subsidies (zorgtoeslag, huurtoeslag, kinderopvangtoeslag, kindgebonden budget), then they should be stopped - subsidies are calculated based on your situation in the Netherlands.

Advance report

If you pay any tax up front or receive any tax refund up front, you should stop these payments / receipts.

If you no longer live in the Netherlands, but you still have income from the Netherlands, then you are a foreign taxpayer. In this case, slightly different rules apply, but you may still be eligible for a refund or tax advance.


Tax return

If you were registered in the Netherlands for part of the year, you need to file an M-form annual tax return. If you have lived outside the Netherlands for the entire calendar year, you will need to submit a C-form.

Moreover, if you are a qualified foreign taxpayer and live in another EU country or in Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba Island, then you are entitled to tax discounts.

Protective assessment

In the year you leave the Netherlands, you file an M-form for your annual tax return. After that, you can get an overview of the pension accumulated in the Netherlands, as well as a calculation of the taxes that you must pay if you want to withdraw your pension now.

During your employment, pension contributions were tax-free, so if you withdraw your accumulated pension, you receive income that must be withheld. The resulting calculation is valid for 10 years. If there is a violation of Dutch tax laws within 10 years, the estimate obtained must be paid by you immediately.

  • contributions to a private pension fund
  • Kapitaalverzekering, spaarrekening of beleggingsrecht eigen woning if you leave without selling your property
  • ownership of shares in a Dutch company (over 5%)

If you have any questions about emigration and immigration, please contact us - we are always ready to help you!


Our reference:

* Terms emigration и immigration denote the processes of moving people to another country for permanent residence in it. Depending on which side of the border to look from, a person can be an immigrant or an emigrant.

Thus, immigration means the entry into the country and the arrival of a person to a new territory, and emigration is the departure from the country for permanent residence or for long-term residence.


If you still have any questions about the materials of the article, our staff will be happy to help you. You can contact us by filling out the form below:
  • Hidden
  • ✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
  • Fill in if available. If you don't know what it is, don't fill it out.
  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, Max. file size: 120 MB.
    • This field is for validation and Purposes Should Be UNCHANGED left.
    logo nalog

    Several of our topics

    You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

    logo nalog

    What do you think of this site? *

    The purpose of your appeal?

    Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.