Recognition of a foreign teaching diploma in the Netherlands - BV
Home Knowledge base Migration Recognition of foreign di...

Private individuals

School holidays 2024-2025 Tax relief for working people (Arbeidskorting) How to calculate tax on Box 3 tax return Tax deductions for gifts and charity General tax relief (algemene heffingskorting) Calculate your medical reimbursement threshold Local (municipal) taxes Deduction for medical expenses (aftrek zorgkosten) 2023 Combined Tax Credit for Parents of Children Under 12 (IACK) Do you have to pay tax if you rent out a room in your house? Opgaaf wereldinkomen - Worldwide income statement Weekends and holidays 2024 Minimum wage 2024 How to notify the tax office about your bank account number yourself? My tax return has been in the tax office for a long time, but there is no answer. What to do? Instructions: How to apply for a subsidy at Holiday rules in the Netherlands Taxation of foreign income in the Netherlands Tax return. Form M Letters with machtigingen from the tax What is jaaropgaaf What is a Zvw contribution? Instructions: How to file a tax return Tax deductions for mortgages and maintenance of your own home How to save on utility bills in the Netherlands (subsidies for improved thermal insulation) About the fare. Receipts and discounts (VIDEO) I want to help: Charity and taxes Box 3 / Box 3 - a book with a description of all webinars Advance calculation (voorlopige aanslag) - an option for those who want to pay taxes or receive tax deductions not at once, but on a monthly basis Fiscal partners Top 9 Tax Return Questions Answered Property transfer tax - basics and innovations from 2021 Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 2) Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 1) "30% ruling" and conditions for its receipt Registration of inheritance and gifts Additional maternity leave What is allowed and what is forbidden to import into the Netherlands Taxes on imported goods How to provide a foreign account number to the tax office Airport Tax Refund (Schiphol) How to get a grace period for filing your tax return The main types of taxes in the Netherlands Dutch taxpayer Where do I go with my problem?

Recognition of a foreign teaching diploma in the Netherlands


In order to work in the Netherlands as a teacher/teacher, you must meet certain conditions and pass the procedure for recognizing a foreign diploma in the Department of Education (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs - DUO), which is part of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. Applications for recognition of a diploma can be submitted by primary and secondary school teachers, including subject teachers, teachers of schools for children with special needs and teachers of the secondary vocational education sector.

Conditions for applying for recognition of a diploma

You can apply application to DUO (in paper or electronic form) for recognition of your foreign professional qualification if:

  • you have completed the teacher/teacher training program at the university,
  • your diploma entitles you to teach in the country where it was issued,
  • you have the required level of education and the necessary pedagogical qualifications,
  • you have sufficient (at B2 level, confirmed by a certificate) command of the language in which you will be teaching (Dutch, English or Papiamento*).

*Note: The Kingdom of the Netherlands includes overseas territories in the Caribbean. Papiamento is the official language of the Netherlands Antilles (along with Dutch and English).

Note! Recognition of a foreign professional qualification of a teacher/teacher is carried out for free.

Diploma recognition procedure:

  1. You're sending electronic form (or a completed paper form at the address listed on the DUO website) requesting recognition of your professional qualifications. The documentary evidence to be included is listed on the form.
  2. DUO checks that you have provided all the required evidence. If something is missing, you will receive a letter asking you to send the missing documents.
  3. Regarding your diploma, DUO may consult with Nuffic (an organization that deals with international education) or send a request to the relevant authorities in the country where the diploma was issued.
  4. If the relevant authorities in the country where the diploma was issued cannot certify your diploma, then you must obtain a certificate from your educational institution confirming that you have successfully completed your studies.
  5. If you meet the conditions, your application for diploma recognition will be approved - you will receive a corresponding letter and with it you can get a job as a teacher / teacher.
  6. If you do not meet the conditions, your application will be rejected.
  7. If you think this decision is wrong, you can file an objection.

If you have any questions, you can contact the DUO Foreign Diploma Recognition Department on weekdays from 09:00 to 12:00:

List of documents for recognition of a diploma:

  • a chronological overview of your education and work experience,
  • copy(s) of diploma(s) of higher education,
  • copy(s) of the supplement(s) to the diploma(s) of higher education with grades,
  • a copy(s) of one or more certificates or diplomas showing that you meet the language requirements (Dutch, English and/or Papiamento),
  • a copy of the passport or other identity document.

If these documents are not in Dutch, English or German, you must attach a certified translation (made by a sworn translator). The translation must be attached to a copy of the original document in the original language. DUO does not process applications without transfers.

Note! For displaced persons from Ukraine under temporary protection, certified translations can be not apply.
logo nalog

Several of our topics

You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

logo nalog

What do you think of this site? *

The purpose of your appeal?

Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.