"30% ruling" and the conditions for obtaining it - Nalog.nl BV
Home Knowledge base Private individuals "30% taxiing" and its terms ...

Private individuals

School holidays 2024-2025 Tax relief for working people (Arbeidskorting) How to calculate tax on Box 3 tax return Tax deductions for gifts and charity General tax relief (algemene heffingskorting) Calculate your medical reimbursement threshold Local (municipal) taxes Deduction for medical expenses (aftrek zorgkosten) 2023 Combined Tax Credit for Parents of Children Under 12 (IACK) Do you have to pay tax if you rent out a room in your house? Opgaaf wereldinkomen - Worldwide income statement Weekends and holidays 2024 Minimum wage 2024 How to notify the tax office about your bank account number yourself? My tax return has been in the tax office for a long time, but there is no answer. What to do? Instructions: How to apply for a subsidy at Nalog.nl Holiday rules in the Netherlands Taxation of foreign income in the Netherlands Tax return. Form M Letters with machtigingen from the tax What is jaaropgaaf What is a Zvw contribution? Instructions: How to file a tax return Tax deductions for mortgages and maintenance of your own home How to save on utility bills in the Netherlands (subsidies for improved thermal insulation) About the fare. Receipts and discounts (VIDEO) I want to help: Charity and taxes Box 3 / Box 3 - a book with a description of all webinars Advance calculation (voorlopige aanslag) - an option for those who want to pay taxes or receive tax deductions not at once, but on a monthly basis Fiscal partners Top 9 Tax Return Questions Answered Property transfer tax - basics and innovations from 2021 Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 2) Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 1) "30% ruling" and conditions for its receipt Registration of inheritance and gifts Additional maternity leave What is allowed and what is forbidden to import into the Netherlands Taxes on imported goods How to provide a foreign account number to the tax office Airport Tax Refund (Schiphol) How to get a grace period for filing your tax return The main types of taxes in the Netherlands Dutch taxpayer Where do I go with my problem?

"30% ruling" and conditions for its receipt


Rouhling, aka 30% regeling, is a tax credit designed to (financially) make it easier for an expat to move to the Netherlands. "30% ruling" allows you to exempt 30% of gross salaries from taxation.

The point of taxiing is not only to alleviate the financial burden of those who are forced to change their place of residence due to a new job, but also to facilitate the employer's reporting related to the costs of moving a given employee. Dutch employers have the option of preferential (tax-free) reimbursement of employee expenses related to his relocation to work in the Netherlands - the so-called extraterritorial costs.

The company can reimburse such expenses in portions, i.e. separately for the flight to the interview, separately for the transportation of things, etc. Alternatively, the employer can request a 30% tax rate for the employee, thus making it easier for the migrant to get financial acclimatization.

Together with a (maximum) 30% tax rebate, getting a taxi will open up some other amenities and opportunities, for example:

  • free exchange of a driver's license for the owner of the taxiing company and his family for a Dutch driver's license;
  • According to the “30% rule”, you can choose “partial non-resident status”. In this case, you will be considered a non-resident taxpayer in Box 2 (taxes on dividend income from stocks) and Box 3 (taxes on income from savings) of the annual tax return, even if you reside in the Netherlands. You are exempt from taxes on assets in Box 2 and 3 (except for real estate located in the Netherlands and significant interests in Dutch companies such as BV).

Retrospective period

The 30% rule is retroactive if the application is submitted within 4 months of your employment. If the application is filed after 4 months, the rule comes into force on the first day of the month following the month of filing the application. The tax authorities will shorten the total duration of the decision by the period that you have already lived in the Netherlands.


Duration of taxiing

Starting from 2019, the maximum rolling period is пять лет 

Earlier, at the legislative level, there was a heated debate about taxiing times and on their reduction, which ultimately led to the adoption of the above decision.

Job change

If you want to change your place of work, your new employer must apply for an extension of the taxation period, provided that you still meet its conditions and start a new job within 3 months after leaving the previous one.

Conditions for obtaining 30% taxiing

Any hired employee who meets the following mandatory requirements can get 30% ruling:

  1. You are an employee with a work contract.
  2. In the last 2 years prior to your 1st working day in the Netherlands, you:
    • have lived for more than 16 months outside the country and
    • lived this time more than 150 km from the border of the Netherlands.
  3. You have a fairly high salary level:
    • or your annual salary subject to tax (i.e. without vacation pay and after deducting 30% tax = 70% of gross salary) is minimum 39.647 euros (for 2022);
    • or your age is under 30 years old and you have a diploma of higher scientific (not technical) education (Master, aka Master), and your net annual salary is minimum 30,001 euros. 
An exception is made by PhD employees who conduct research in the Netherlands at the relevant research institution - such employees are always entitled to a 30% ruling regardless of the size of their salary.

How does the tax credit work?

To be more precise, the ruling does not reduce the tax on wages, but the very amount that falls under the taxes. In other words, taxes are paid on 70% of your salary, and you get the remaining 30% in full, without taxes (subject to eligibility).

For example, with a gross salary of 10.000 euros / month, all taxes and deductions are calculated only from 7.000 euros (10.000 minus 30%), and the remaining 3.000 (30% of 10.000) you receive to the account without taxes, i.e. they are simply added to the net salary.

But it must be remembered that taxiing applies only to income from work (salary, bonuses and vacation pay) of the employer who requested it. For all other incomes (for example, if a person also works as an entrepreneur in parallel), the taxiing rule does not apply.

If a taxi owner moves to the Netherlands with a partner / family, and only he has this status, then the “30%” rule applies only to his income, which we have already focused on earlier.

 Can you claim 30% steering?

Below you can check if you are entitled to 30% taxiing?

Nalog.nl employees are ready to advise you on obtaining this status and meeting the criteria for driving, considering the nuances of all types of income falling under the "30%". In addition, we provide the service of requesting a taxiing service both for the first time and its renewal when changing employers.

You can order a 30% ruling service here

You can also sign up for a consultation here

The information posted in the article is current at the time of its publication.

Fill out the form or contact us in a way convenient for you. Our experts will help you resolve the issue.

  • Hidden
  • ✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
  • Fill in if available. If you don't know what it is, don't fill it out.
  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, Max. file size: 120 MB.
    • This field is for validation and Purposes Should Be UNCHANGED left.

    logo nalog

    Several of our topics

    You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

    logo nalog

    What do you think of this site? *

    The purpose of your appeal?

    Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.