Immigration to the Netherlands - BV
Home Knowledge base Migration Immigration to the Netherlands

Private individuals

School holidays 2024-2025 Tax relief for working people (Arbeidskorting) How to calculate tax on Box 3 tax return Tax deductions for gifts and charity General tax relief (algemene heffingskorting) Calculate your medical reimbursement threshold Local (municipal) taxes Deduction for medical expenses (aftrek zorgkosten) 2023 Combined Tax Credit for Parents of Children Under 12 (IACK) Do you have to pay tax if you rent out a room in your house? Opgaaf wereldinkomen - Worldwide income statement Weekends and holidays 2024 Minimum wage 2024 How to notify the tax office about your bank account number yourself? My tax return has been in the tax office for a long time, but there is no answer. What to do? Instructions: How to apply for a subsidy at Holiday rules in the Netherlands Taxation of foreign income in the Netherlands Tax return. Form M Letters with machtigingen from the tax What is jaaropgaaf What is a Zvw contribution? Instructions: How to file a tax return Tax deductions for mortgages and maintenance of your own home How to save on utility bills in the Netherlands (subsidies for improved thermal insulation) About the fare. Receipts and discounts (VIDEO) I want to help: Charity and taxes Box 3 / Box 3 - a book with a description of all webinars Advance calculation (voorlopige aanslag) - an option for those who want to pay taxes or receive tax deductions not at once, but on a monthly basis Fiscal partners Top 9 Tax Return Questions Answered Property transfer tax - basics and innovations from 2021 Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 2) Health insurance in the Netherlands (part 1) "30% ruling" and conditions for its receipt Registration of inheritance and gifts Additional maternity leave What is allowed and what is forbidden to import into the Netherlands Taxes on imported goods How to provide a foreign account number to the tax office Airport Tax Refund (Schiphol) How to get a grace period for filing your tax return The main types of taxes in the Netherlands Dutch taxpayer Where do I go with my problem?

Immigration to the Netherlands


The Netherlands is one of the three European countries in terms of high indicators of economic stability, social security system and favorable conditions for doing business. That is why this country is increasingly seen as the most attractive option for those planning to move to Europe for permanent residence. Additional factors favoring the Netherlands are a high standard of living, a low unemployment rate and a fairly comfortable tax environment.

There are several types of migration, here are the main ones:
• Entrepreneur visa (for more details, see here)
• Blue card
• Startup visa
• Partner visa
• Skilled migrant visa – kennismigrant (read more here)
• Student visa

Let's consider the above options in more detail.

Entrepreneur visa

This is one of the types of work visa, the basis for obtaining which is the desire to open your own business in the Netherlands. To obtain it, you will need to submit a detailed business plan and convince the migration service of the viability of your business idea, its profitability and the value of the future business for the country's economy. The peculiarity of this visa is that the decision on its issuance is made by two state institutions: first, the RVO (Rijksdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland - a service that works with entrepreneurs), and then the IND, the Dutch migration service, which will make the final decision. You cannot do without the help of an immigration lawyer. Your education, successful entrepreneurial experience and the network of potential partners and consumers in the Netherlands will play an important role.
A blue card or blue card is not the most common option for migrating to the Netherlands, as it has high requirements for the annual income of the person who requests it. But this visa is especially attractive because after receiving it, you have the opportunity to work in any country of the European Union, on the territory of all its other countries. Transfer from one state to another is very simple, and the years of residence in all countries are taken into account cumulatively. The holder of such a visa can apply for Dutch citizenship under an abbreviated procedure. However, it should be noted that this visa is not suitable for people with young children, since in the EU countries there is a strict system of compulsory education, and the link to the place of study is very serious.

Startup visa

This is one of the types of business migration, which has its own characteristics. If you want to develop your startup in the Netherlands, you need a curator, that is, a company that can assess how innovative and viable your idea is. This moment is decisive for this type of visa and you need to be able to justify it well. It is also necessary to remember that in a year your project will be tested for the level of its performance and profitability. Based on the results of such a check, the decision on the visa may be changed.

Partner visa

It means the so-called "bride / groom visa" who come to the country to a citizen of the Netherlands or a person with a local residence permit. The process of obtaining this type of visa depends on the citizenship of the immigrant: if you are a citizen of any country of the European Union, then it is quite simple. A more difficult path for people who have only a residence permit in the EU countries, and the most bureaucratic and difficult process is faced by citizens of "third countries". In order to obtain a partner visa, you must be in your home country at the time of the request, as well as pass the Dutch language proficiency test. The only exceptions are wives / husbands of qualified migrants, they do not need to know the language. It is important to know that in order to obtain this visa it is not necessary to get married, you can register a partnership. However, before that, you must provide an official certificate stating that you are not currently married.

Skilled migrant visa (kennismigrant)

Has certain requirements for the list of specialists invited to the country. Their high qualifications also correspond to the wage requirements: such a specialist is quite expensive for the company; in addition, his salary depends not only on the position held, but also on the age of the migrant. There is a list of referent companies that have the right to bring kennismigrant. More detailed information on this type of visa can be obtained here.

Student visa

Issued at the invitation of the university. This visa has a prolonged validity and is valid for an additional year after graduation (zoekjaar). This time is given to find a job in the country. Not only students from Dutch universities have the right to look for work in the Netherlands, but also students from universities in other countries; a complete list of accredited educational institutions is available on the IND website. That is, after graduating from one of these universities, the graduate has the opportunity to obtain a student visa for a year and try to find a job in the Netherlands.

In addition to the above visa options, there are also visas for nannies (au pair), religious workers, as well as humanitarian visas. They have their own characteristics, and often have strict time limits without the possibility of renewal.
If you are planning to move to the Netherlands according to one of the above options, contact the specialists for help, who will not only advise you on all the possibilities, help you determine the most suitable option for you, but will also help you realistically assess your chances. This will save you not only from rash actions, but also from pointless spending.

logo nalog

Several of our topics

You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

logo nalog

What do you think of this site? *

The purpose of your appeal?

Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.