Partner residence permit for EU gr - conditions - BV

Partner residence permit for EU citizens – conditions

The IND sets certain requirements for citizens of other countries of the European Union who plan to reside in the Netherlands for more than 3 months. The basic requirement for everyone is to have a valid EU passport or ID card.

Other conditions differ depending on the type of employment of the person (employee or entrepreneur).

In this case, it is not necessary for the person to work. He may be looking for a job in the Netherlands. Moreover, such an employee or applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • His income exceeds 50% of the amount of social assistance that applies to him.
  • His employment is at least 40% of the full work week.

Is your income below the required income or are you working below the employment threshold? Don't panic. The Migration Office also considers factors such as whether you receive a salary in case of vacation or illness, the length of the work contract. In the case of an entrepreneur, it is taken into account whether he has clients.


For unemployed EU citizens, the following residence permit requirements apply:

  • Availability of medical insurance.
  • Having money to live for yourself and family members. Income is considered sufficient if it is equal to or higher than the minimum wage in the Netherlands with vacation pay. Is the income lower than required? In this case, it is necessary to show that this income is sufficient for living. For example, a person has small expenses and low income covers them.

Until the end of 2023, you must have a monthly income of at least € 1.995,00.

From January 1, 2024, the principle of calculating the minimum wage will change.
Read about it in our article.


There are three conditions for students to obtain a residence permit in the Netherlands:

  • Registration at an educational institution in the Netherlands.
  • Availability of medical insurance.
  • Enough funds for yourself and your family members.

IND registration

You do not need to register with the IND.
At the same time, the migration service checks whether you have the right to stay in the Netherlands. But only if other organizations inform the IND that you no longer meet the conditions for staying in the country.

When is registration still required?

In some cases, an EU citizen is required to register with the IND:

  • Family member of an EU citizen who does not have a European passport.
  • When the BRP registration database indicates that the term of the right to remain as an EU citizen has expired and it is necessary to (re-) register with the IND.

What else do you need to live in the Netherlands?

  • Registration with the municipality.
  • Registration of medical insurance.

It is necessary to obtain medical insurance within 4 months from the date of arrival in the Netherlands.

  • Hidden
  • ✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
  • Fill in if available. If you don't know what it is, don't fill it out.
  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, Max. file size: 120 MB.
    • This field is for validation and Purposes Should Be UNCHANGED left.
    logo nalog

    Several of our topics

    You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

    logo nalog

    What do you think of this site? *

    The purpose of your appeal?

    Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.