Who can get a residence permit as a family member of an EU citizen?

As a family member of a citizen of the European Union, you can exercise the right to obtain a residence permit in the Netherlands. We will take a closer look at what needs to be done for this and what procedures to go through.

Conditions for considering an application for obtaining a Dutch residence permit:

  • You have a valid passport.
  • You have no criminal record and no lawsuits have been filed against you.
  • Your family member who is an EU citizen is officially registered in the Netherlands. That is, he received a residence permit from the IND.

Family members of EU citizens who are eligible to apply for a Dutch residence permit:

  • Spouse or registered partner.
  • An unmarried or partnership partner who has lived with an EU citizen for at least 6 consecutive months prior to this request. Or, under the same conditions, the couple has a joint child.
  • Child or grandson of an EU citizen under the age of 21.
  • A child or grandchild under the age of 18 of a partner who is not married or in partnership with an EU citizen and intends to live with a parent or grandparents in the Netherlands.
  • Child or grandchild over 21 years old, or parent, grandfather / grandmother of an EU citizen. And also his / her spouse or registered partner. At the same time, a person is financially dependent on an EU citizen, that is, regularly (for example, monthly) receives money from him for basic needs for food, rent, which he himself is not able to cover.
  • Uncle, aunt, nephew or niece of an EU citizen. And the following conditions apply to you: 1) financial dependence on an EU citizen - a person receives money for basic needs; 2) living together earlier in the country of origin of a family member of an EU citizen; 3) using the assistance of an EU citizen in connection with serious health problems.


You will find a list of required documents here.

Decision on the application

The IND has 6 months to make a decision on the submitted application for a residence permit.

Challenging the IND's decision

You can appeal the decision of the Migration Board within 4 weeks after receiving a response to your request.

Obtaining a residence permit

Have you received a positive decision? Congratulations! You will soon receive a notice from the IND telling you when and how you can get the document.

Period of validity of the residence permit

Your temporary residence permit for 5 years. After that, you can extend it, or submit a request for a permanent residence permit.

The right of a family member of an EU citizen to work in the Netherlands

With this residence permit, you can work freely, which is indicated on your residence permit.


  • Hidden
  • ✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
  • Fill in if available. If you don't know what it is, don't fill it out.
  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, Max. file size: 120 MB.
    • This field is for validation and Purposes Should Be UNCHANGED left.
    Open a BV in the Netherlands

    Open a BV in the Netherlands

    Turnkey company registration.

    Get a consultation

    Get a consultation

    We advise on business and tax matters in the Netherlands, as well as private matters

    logo nalog

    Several of our topics

    You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

    logo nalog

    What do you think of this site? *

    The purpose of your appeal?

    Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.