Residence permit for sushi men

If you want to work in the Netherlands as an employee of an Asian cuisine restaurant / cafe, then you need to obtain a residence permit.

In the Netherlands, there are a number of general conditions for applying for a residence permit, you can see them here. In this article, you will learn about the additional conditions for obtaining a residence permit for workers in the field of catering (Asian cuisine).



Conditions for the employee

In the Netherlands, there are a number of conditions for obtaining a residence permit that apply to all immigrants who plan to come to the Netherlands. In addition to these conditions, the following conditions apply to you as an Asian food worker:

  • Your place of work will be a specialized restaurant (snack bars, catering1delivery companies and delivery companies are not specialty restaurants) with one or more of the following cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Thai, Tibetan, and Vietnamese.
  • Your position will be: Specialty Chef (specialiteitenkok), Sous-Chef / Allround Kok, or Chef (chef-kok).



Conditions for an employer in the Netherlands

  • Your restaurant is a specialty Asian restaurant (Chinese, Indian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Thai, Tibetan or Vietnamese).
  • You are not: a snack bar, catering[1] company and delivery service. But if you can show that a qualified chef is really needed, for example, in your snack bar, the Dutch government can make an exception.
  • You must indicate why you need a chef.
  • You must explain that a highly skilled chef is required for your restaurant: a specialized chef (specialiteitenkok), a sous-chef / allround kok, or a chef (chef-kok).
  • You, as an employer, should be able to present a diploma or certificate confirming that the chef has the skills to perform this position.
  • During the period of validity of this residence permit, you, as an employer, must: train staff or offer workers an internship in cooking courses (ROC-koksopleiding).
  • You are training personnel to work in Asian cuisine. You conduct at least 1 of these courses for your employees:
  • Training courses for the leadership of kitchen staff. You are required to provide your worker's certificate at the end of the course.
  • License-free courses for kitchen staff (on-the-job training) please attach this form to the application form.
  • Passing an internship in the framework of training for chefs (ROC- koksopleiding). In this case, you must provide a contract between the internship organizer and the intern.


The Dutch organization, the UWV Employment Service, will check whether you comply with the rules: whether you have fulfilled the conditions and whether you have paid the foreign chef the agreed salary. To see what are the standard amounts of required income for a specialist, you can here.


If you have any questions about immigration, please contact us - we are always ready to help you!

A catering company is a company that provides all this range of services indoors or outdoors, at any remote location.


  • Hidden
  • ✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
  • Fill in if available. If you don't know what it is, don't fill it out.
  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, Max. file size: 120 MB.
    • This field is for validation and Purposes Should Be UNCHANGED left.
    logo nalog

    Several of our topics

    You can find more topics on our home page or on the menu.

    logo nalog

    What do you think of this site? *

    The purpose of your appeal?

    Do not enter any personal information such as name, social security number, or phone number. We do not respond to questions, comments and complaints that come through this form.